Thread: No muffler?
View Single Post

Old 12-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Ford Tough

Default Re: No muffler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryin View Post
iam nto to sure if this is true or not and iam sure ill be told if iam right or wrongm here but if u cut your muffler couldnt it mes sup your morot cause it dosent have back pressure?
That depends on the motor. Likely for a stock aluminum head Ford and most others there are no valve seats made of a different metal? I have a 1978 Ducati 900SS...aluminum heads...valve seats made of (not sure..but something different) which allow them to use OPEN HEADERS..... backpressure.... hardly at all..maybe a tiny bit as the ideal high pipes have a closing cone shape at the end..despite that it BARKS and can spit a bit of flame out. Rode it from here to Boston and back once with the high pipes..ran like a charm all the time. But for aluminum valve seats...NO. Some backpressure is needed to not fry the valve seats and valves. Depending on where you live..a loud exhaust will only be a magnet for police cruisers maybe...who wants that? When my Duke was new..open exhaust allowed for way better performance..it can walk away from a same year Kawasaki 900-Z1 with ease on top-end. That was before electronic fuel injection and such. New Ducati's are faster than ever..but quiet...no more open exhaust needed thanks to EFI..they even have cats now!!!

A year before mine...1977 900SS..with mufflers...

FYI: Desmodromics....my 78 900SS is a Desmo...some were not back then..the non-Desmo's had valve springs. All Ducati's have been Desmo's for years now. So what is a Desmo?..no valve springs..2 cam lobes for each valve...one opening..and the other closing the valve...valve float impossible. Google Desmo..or..Desmodromics and see. The infamous Mercedes race cars of the 50's used their version and a few others toyed with it...only Ducati stuck with it...including when they went to 4-valve heads..an apparent extreme complication done brilliantly simple.

Todays 1198.........

And the rare V-4............
over 200HP...over 200 MPH......and still a Desmo....but with lots of magnesium, carbon fiber, Titanium,etc.
JBA s.s. headers&exhaust, K&N cold air intake, Bosch Iridium Plus 4 plugs, Royal Purple in motor, 5spd & diff.,Superchips programmer, axle girdle. Also have but yet to install KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and Belltech sway bars.

Last edited by 2002 2WD Edge; 12-12-2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added a paragraph