View Single Post

Old 07-01-2016, 09:16 AM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: Fuel Reservoir Check Valve Problem in 19u88 Model

Update. Yes, this is the black plastic reservoir pot or canister inside the frame rail behind the front/high pressure fuel pump with 4 fuel line connections on it. My 1988 reservoir does not have a filter inside it. The filter is separate, ahead of the frame fuel pump. You guys must have the earlier style reservoir with a filter.

I tried those parts supply links and some others but nobody has this item FOTZ-9KO44-A in stock. They list the part with a price around $50-60 plus shipping, but so far nobody actually has it. (I didn't try the $131 guy!) The parts guys I spoke to called it "the back order from hell" because Ford has no release date on when the part will become available again. Nor is it available as an after market item because Ford has not released the "patent" on it--so I was told. One guy said the part has not been available for over a month and had no idea when/if it will be available again. He was very familiar with the problem.

I may just replace the leaky o-ring in mine and try running it without the broken check-valve. One guy said the truck "should" still run without the check-valve. It's worth a try. I only use this Ranger on my land as a wood hauler and work truck.

I took the reservoir out of my truck and held it in a vice before trying to take the bowl off. It came off pretty easy that way. But some guys break the plastic nipples off removing the fuel lines. Mine didn't break. I got lucky.