View Single Post

Old 05-24-2016, 10:31 AM
Built without your tax $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw0 View Post
FX4, maybe you missed the point. Normal aging of lubricants subjected to heat and high pressure will make the lube deteriorate over time, just as noted. The need for an automatic transmission 'flush' is to break loose, circulate, and remove 'deposits' of broken friction material, worn thrust washers, worn valve body material, and other things in an automatic transmission. The need for a coolant flush is, as you stated, to compensate for neglect of the cooling system, which is to say, to break loose, circulate, and remove sludge, rust, scale, and who knows what. A maintained system, with decent drain & refill with fresh coolant should not need a flush in normal operation. IMO, my own opinion. A power steering pump just does not have things that will break down, and form deposits that are harmful. If you have taken one apart, you won't find any deposits. The fluid, over time, can start to break down, mostly due to heat. Draining and refilling with fresh fluid will for the most part, take care of any detritus that is in the fluid. I have taken pumps apart, and found zero deposits, and that in a pump that had gone ~200k miles. The reservoir seal O-ring had hardened and was allowing seepage. The fluid was mildly 'stinky', or slightly burned by odor test. I have done power steering 'booster' cylinders used on way older cars, and they just didn't have 'stuff' that needed flushing. This is all anecdotal, and I have no stats to affirm or deny, but I don't think a power steering system 'flush' is something I'd spend money on. Again, just my own opinion and experience. tom
I agree, I wasn't referring to power steering flushes in particular. More the general consensus that some have towards keeping old fluids in their vehicle. Drain and fill on P/S is likely fine, but a detergent and flush won't hurt either. OP wants to flush his system, I offered a viable product to do just that.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrich View Post
FYI power steering pumps are not hard on the fluid at all.
apparently OP's systems hard enough on it he wants all the junk out. So I see no particular reason for your posts other than to stir the pot.

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print...Experience is what you get when you don't."