View Single Post

Old 11-17-2015, 11:59 PM
woohoo, truck things

Default Re: blkpnthr's 1985 Beater

Work Done/Photos (May 2015 to November 2015)

Introducing the newbie to the family:

Baby's First Parts Order:

The second day owning it, the gas tank started leaking. Drained the tank into gas cans via the fuel line (truck was given to me with a full tank).

Fuel tank replacement, May 30

I HATE THIS BUZZER. Replaced it with a dinger/chime out of a newer Ford (probably a Grand Marquis; it was in my junkyard parts box. plug-n-play)

Cutting out weak corroded floor metal and trying to test fit some sheet metal (this isn't the option I ultimately went with).

June 10 Replaced timing belt

June 13 Flushed coolant with old rad (which had a seeping leak). After flushing out, replaced radiator/cap, hoses, thermostat, coolant. The oil seen at the top of one of the bottles was from the drain pan, it did not come out of the engine mixed.

June 24 Drum brakes, rear brake lines, parking brake cables and differential oil

Oct 10 Shocks, front brakes, lines

Oct 10 Floors

Oct 11 Decided to try to move the bed cap around by myself. Not a wise choice. Made amendments to the front 'window' of the bed cap (a big piece of poorly fitting acrylic) and position of cap on bed. It isn't the right cap for this truck but it'll do.

Oct 11 Reinstalling interior

Oct 12 Bleeding full brake system, then "first drive"

Oct 14 Installed 12V sockets, as I have a dash cam I want to have plugged in. 12V source for sockets is always hot from battery but with switch to turn it off. I prefer this over switched with ignition.

Oct 17 outer tie rod ends

Oct 17 Carb removal and rebuild

Received Ontario Safety Standards Certificate. This was the first day I drove it to work, Oct 19.

In troubleshooting some starting, idling, running issues I picked up a spare YFA carb from a 1982 F-100 I6. This is a feedback carb but minus the feedback components it's otherwise identical. Bolted on, the 2.0 fired up and ran with the carb as I pulled it from the junkyard. I did eventually put the original YFA back on once I confirmed it was a tuning issue, not a carb defect or internal issue.

Oct 25 Compression test, vacuum troubleshooting

Oct 31 buddy of mine at a shop mounted my snow tires on my old Panther turbines.

Nov 1, posed near Essex Engine Plant

Interval wiper switch and relay from junkyard

Nov 1, some stickers...

Nov 8, upgraded mirrors (donor vehicle 1988+ Bronco II)

Nov 9, found a vacuum leak in the vac motor that switches hot/cold intake air. Repaired. Also replaced ignition coil (new) and Duraspark II module with good used which corrected some starting and running issues.

List of Work Done
In no particular order, items for which there are no photos above:
  • Patched exhaust leak. It has since blown itself apart again due to a smog pump issue and racecar-like exhaust popping. Because racetruck.
  • patched passenger cab corner
  • changed manual trans gear oil (Redline MT-90, the only GL4 75-90 I could find)
  • ran wiring for radio and installed one
  • While doing rear brakes, pulled out the axle shafts to verify bearing riding surface is good and replaced axle seals
  • Repaired/refurbed courtesy light door switch
  • Replaced shift lever with a slightly less sloppy one.
  • Good used battery
  • Changed oil + filter, for first time in 7 years (it wasn't over the mileage interval yet, but...7 years!)
  • Air filter
  • Fuel filter
  • new tail lamps (cracked)
  • rear license plate lights (corroded wiring due to botched trailer connector install)
  • headlamps
  • blower motor resistor
  • Converted all 11xx style bulb sockets to 31xx style bulb sockets
  • Converted front side markers to signals which alternate with the actual turn signal
  • plugs/wires/cap/rotor

Man, this post length limit is killing me!

Last edited by blkpnthr; 11-18-2015 at 06:37 AM.