View Single Post

Old 11-15-2015, 11:07 PM
Habenae Est Dominatus

Default Re: Undrstm8ed's 93' XLT Overlanding build...

Back to the dash work, my SPST switches finally came in along with my relay harness for the 12 added circuits being introduced into the vehicle. most of which are lighting mods and a few 'extras'...

I ended up with round colored LED identifiers in the switches but the good news is they are low key. I would have been highly annoyed with a blinding glow coming from the lower dash area between the door panel and steering column, too distracting. These were much more subtle and look great in the dash work.

[IMG][/IMG]

I still need to find time to finish file the switch holes. A couple arent aligned the way I want them in perfect alignment but thats an easy task to undertake with a little time this week before wiring of the relays commences.

[IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

These switches will all have their own fused circuit and relays for direct power from the battery. The fuse panel for this replaces the Drivers side rear speaker location. I'll be putting together a carbon fiber back-plate/box to mount it too do to another function piece I opted to use a thick piece of ABS plastic and without even installing it yet it showed signs of weakness and cracked on me. So that will likely get swapped out for a Carbon Fiber plate too and used as the template for it. I'll show that more later in the week.

This is fed directly from the battery and fused with its own 100 amp fuse and limited to a 100 amps on its own. I particularly like the way I did the wires for it and all the new big 3 wiring for the battery(s) both under the hood and those going in the rear. (That is another project under way).

[IMG][/IMG]

The two main cables coming through the firewall are an 8ga power cable and a 4ga cable and are routed through these two waterproof grommets. A third cable also routed through another 4ga waterproof grommet is a 9 conductor cable used for additional features needed external connections from the interior of the vehicle. All power cable 8ga through 1/0 are from Streetwires, including all battery terminals, ring terminals.

[IMG][/IMG]

All new cables are soldered, expanding loom for flexible protection, heat shrink ends of appropriate polarity, and if and when called on, re wrapped to "factory specs" as far as take outs, proper shielding, and upgraded wiring and terminals.

Starting with old terminals and wiring on the current battery system.

[IMG][/IMG]

My upgrades consist of 4ga positives replacing 6 ga original wiring. 8ga replacing 10-12ga wiring, and a 1/0 cable coming from the alternator along with upgraded wiring to the starter and all grounds to eliminate any ground drops across the chassis of the truck.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

----------

All added fuses for accessory power (II fuse box), Audio system, secondary batteries in back, and the alternator itself and through the dual battery isolator.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

(buying in bulk helps some.. lol)

Main battery when charged to 13.1 volts then charges secondary batteries. If the main battery should be compromised, a push of a button connects all batteries together and allows the vehicle to start.

[IMG][/IMG]

----------

**Will update main post of products in use soon as I can.**

My Build Pg. Threads
+ 93' Ranger Overlanding Build
+ 94' Ranger Bed Overlanding Trailer Build
+ 12° North Industries ~ I Support