View Single Post

Old 10-12-2015, 05:11 PM
Like the Forums

Default 94 Ford Ranger XLT, a.k.a The Rancher Project

First off, I apologize for making two threads. The other was my introduction and didn't feel appropriate.

Back to my truck.

I have done things like alternators, master cylinders, starters and stuff like that, but never had to troubleshoot like this. So It's a little adventure for me.

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3L Crossfire (8 spark plugged 4 cyl. engine.)
Where: California
When: Last month
How much: a whopping $800

My end goal:
I have quite decided what my end goal is. It's between make it a little mudder truck, or a show truck.
I'm leaning towards show truck because it's a 2wd

What I have done:
Master Cylinder replaced, tires (obv) replaced, full tune up including wires, plugs and filters. I just ordered a new filler neck/hose because it failed EVAP and high emissions. Not quite sure what I'm going to do about the high emissions yet.

Things I have found wrong so far with the truck:

I went out and bought an OBD I code reader since the one I had couldn't hook up to it. $30 so not terrible.

Came up with five codes in this order:
111: A system PASS code, so I believe it was just starting itself up.

10: Showed up once after 111, but isn't in my code book, so I'm thinking it's a beginning code to show it's starting?

^^^ These two codes only show up once. From what I read it repeats the codes twice, so not sure what that means, yet.

157: Mass Air Flow sensor fault, low voltage

222: Distributorless ignition system - loss of right side ignition diagnostic monitor [IDM] signal

224: Erratic IDM input to processor.

So from the looks of it, IDM is causing two problems, MAF has low voltage, and that should be it..
This was all done with the key on but engine off.

Got around to cleaning and testing the MAF sensor.
THe red to black had 11.28, and would sometimes fluctuate from 8-10.5.
Testing the sending wire by turning the truck on, it wouldn't go under .88 and increased as I revv'd the engine. The voltage isn't low, so I'm not sure what to do with that.

I disconnected the battery and reconnected to try to reset the codes.. But yet I had the error code reading saying it had a problem..

Now the IDM problem... Well I'm not sure what that is so have to grind on google and figure it out.

Any advice?

Attached pics of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8652.jpg (93.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0362.jpg (57.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0364.jpg (92.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0360.jpg (45.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0361.jpg (47.9 KB, 12 views)