View Single Post

Old 11-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: HOW TO: Replace Rear Pinion Seal

Good write up man, Im glad to see you FINALLY decided to replace that leaky seal lol, and I hope yours doesnt start leaking again real soon like mine did. BUt now after the 2nd time its been holding fine, knock on wood. A few things yes you are correct on the preload and that video is a pretty good description. The crush sleeve is putting a certain amount of preload on the bearings and in turn getting correct load on the gears. The reason why so many want you change the crush sleeve out is because its a metal sleeve, and once its crushed its pretty much done for getting the same exact pre load. But that doesn't mean that it CANT be reused. As you know, you, myself, as well as many others have reused theirs atleast once, or even acouple times. I dont recommend it, but like you and myself and others, we really just don't have the time and knowledge to do it. BUt one day here when it warms up I will learn to set up a 8.8.

On the marking and balacing topic, idk why they say to mark the driveshaft to, ive been told the same bs answer but really in that process the only thing you should mark is the just the nut, and pinnion flange area. But every driveshaft shop around shop around says that as long as the 2 driveshaft ends are equal to each other, (like if you took it apart to grease the slip yoke) it needs to be put back exactly on the right tooth so they line up. But I do believe that that whether the driveshaft is rotated one bolt hole or so, it isnt going to matter. I tried to do what you did but after having my driveshaft taking to shops for things like another pinion seal, u joints 2 or 3 times, and stuff like that. Im sure it wasn't "marked" and put back perfectly and I have yet to have problems. I have even went as far as to have my driveshaft rebalanced, and that is done on a shops own seperate machine so I guess in essence the driveshaft is balanced to itself, and has nothing to do with being bolted to our stock 4x4 flanges if that makes sense. But w.e it will be fine either way, but good job, sorry for the long repost, I just havent been on here in awhile. and hope your seal holds better than my first one did. Hope ya had a good thanksgiving with the fam and girl. Zach

Ill be back