View Single Post

Old 11-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: 3.0L V-6 Camshaft Synchronizer

500 miles later it started chirping again. I only ever notice this when hitting bumps so I'm thinking that it has to do with the vertical play between the shaft and housing (there is some on the Ford part, there is ALOT on the Dorman part... 5x the play). I had bought the Dorman part when the noise started coming back before my previous post but never put it in because it just feels like a lower quality part, not to mention fresh out of the plastic it had some dust bunny like stuff all in the top/sensor area who knows if any got between the shaft and housing So today I took my less than 1 yr old motorcraft synchronizer back out for oiling and did a much more thorough job of it. Last time I just used penetrating oil where the shaft meets the housing above that little washer/clip. Now I used 5W30 motor oil in the built in oiling hole and held it upside down and spun the shaft with a 5/16" hex key on a screw gun for a couple mins then cleaned out the sensor area with quick dry electronic cleaner. I also put 0.1qt extra motor oil in the engine to see if it will have any effect on oil reaching this part. Again noise is temporarily stopped and everything seems to be working as it should. That alignment tool is pretty useless, once you have the housing marked in line with the top of the engine, the rotor for the sensor should pretty closely line up with 1 of 6 notches or "corners" machined into the top of the housing, and being 1 tooth off throws it very obviously out of line. Just remember which notch or "opposite corner" you want to line with. If it lines up into the big cutout then you can use the tool to center it but otherwise it should be close enough to eye it out.