View Single Post

Old 06-19-2015, 08:15 PM
Ford Motor Company

Default Re: '01 3.0 eating valve seats and valves? HELP!

this is what they looked like originally when I bought the truck and we took it apart for the rebuild.

The burnt piston was on the passenger side bank, NOT #3.

The pic of the valve is the one that came out of #4 and a close up of the head from #4 cylinder.

With this being the original problem as to why I had to rebuild it. It tells me SOMETHING has been wrong with it for a LONG time to do that to a piston and multiple valves all from different cylinders.
This is why I spared no expense and replaced EVERYTHING!
Cam Synchro, Coil Pack, Wires, Plugs, Injectors, Computer, Upstream O2 sensors, even had a custom ground cam to get a little more ooomph out of it and put the headers on to replace the manifolds and cats because the front Y-Pipe cats were loose and bad internally. With all the issues IN the cylinders that metal had to go somewhere and you could see deposits in the cats as well.
I also removed the air box silencer when I replaced the air filter as suggested here too.

The 4th and 5th Cats along with the downstream O2 are what was on the truck but it is not kicking any O2 sensor/cat codes. We ensured to keep the cat in front of the downstream O2 sensor to ensure it read properly.

The MAF is what was on it when I bought it too.

The only other thing that was jumped is the small coolant line from the heater hose "T" to the throttle body. Have never had a problem and is encouraged on numerous other Fords that use that set up.
The original plastic T's blew on the road 1,000 miles after the first rebuild.

The motor does not run hot, heats up and stays normal.
I have got anywhere from 8-17MPG on my trips but I was also hauling a 12ft trailer filled with parts, 1,000lbs maybe?

On the scanner nothing seems to be reading out of tolerance or showing any hints as to any computer controlled reason that would cause a something to over heat, lean condition or otherwise.

The rear being a 3.73 gear has the motor running in the high RPM range down the highway at 75-80 mph.

That is ALL the info on the motor and the build.

THANKS for the input to this point.
I REALLY hope we can find the issue!
IF any of the info above helps point someone to a KNOWN problem with the motor, feel free to repost your ideas!

Looks like time to take it up to the dealer and have them run it on the machines and see IF something is out of whack.

Pic #1 you can see the good seal surface of the intake valve and there is a MAJOR issue with the exhaust seat or lack of seat! you can see there is NO SEAT! So when we say it EATS VALVE SEATS... There you go! WHERE DID THE VALVE SEAT GO??
Pic #2 is the driver side bank, you can see 3 of the 4 exhaust valve seats are NOT seated/sealing, the 4th seat you can see there was a good seal on the valve seat.
Pic #3 is the valve from Pic #1 (Cylinder #4)
Pic #4 is the passenger side head
Pic #5 is the #2 Cylinder piston, you can see the burnt metal all over the head in Pic #4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0582.jpg (68.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0581.jpg (71.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0586.jpg (45.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0579.jpg (75.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0580.jpg (54.7 KB, 24 views)
01 Ranger Ext cab, 2wd, 3.0(flexfuel?)/Auto
US Army Retired('12)

Last edited by Regul8r; 06-19-2015 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Labeled and described the pics.