Thread: Gas mileage
View Single Post

Old 06-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Ford Motor Company

Default Re: Gas mileage

I've got a '97 with about 237k miles on it and still get a consistent 30 mpg on the highway. I don't drive the interstate very often because 70 mph on that little old engine would be lots of RPM's and I just don't want to take the chance of something giving out. 18 city isn't bad, even with the stick. Do you know if you have the 3:73 or 3:45 rear end? The 3:73 is a nice compromise for in-town and out of town driving. The 3:45 is great for highway only but it drags your in-town mpg down. If you don't know sometimes there is a small tag hanging on the differential that has the information and it should be listed on the drivers door sticker. it will be a two digit number like 84 or 82 or something similar. Just look up that number on here or google something like "rear end door code Ford Ranger"

There are a few things you can do to help mpg that have been listed here. These guys on here know their trucks. You can also remove the "air muffler" (sometimes called the "air silencer"). It's free and only takes about 20 minutes or so. It helps these little engines breathe. New O2 sensors and a new Cat can help. Tune-up and new plugs and wires have already been mentioned I think. If you drive mainly in-town try coasting up to stop signs and lights in neutral with the engine still running. drops the fuel used down into the idling range.

Oh Deer: 2003 XL 2.3l Duratech, 5-speed stick w/OD. Current mods: Body work after hitting a deer 12 hours after I bought it.