View Single Post

Old 11-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: Engine Wont turn over

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Zed28 View Post
First post! Yay!

So i have a 1987 Ford Ranger 2.3L 2WD, and A4lD transmission. Ever since iv owned it, it has ran like an old dog. It had a rough idle; ex, truck would stall when slow acceleration, like in parking lot. Well yesterday the truck all of a sudden started revving up. It would squeal the tires when changing from neutral to 1st, all acceleration could be done by just letting it coast. Gained speed up to 40mph with no foot on the gas. It ran like this for over 5miles. I assumed something like the choke was stuck on. After letting it sit for an hour, i tried to start it and it would just turn over for 5 seconds and fail. It did this repeatedly until i gave up. Now fast forward to today and the battery is a bit weaker and it wont even kick over. And there is a small puddle of coolant leaking from front of block, havent pin pointed exactly where.

So far i have looked for any vacuum hoses disconnected, to no avail, turned engine over by hand, also checked IAC valve with ohm tester think its running too high, 17ohms. What im going to be doing next is, check compression, and charge batter, maybe spray carb cleaner into throttle body.. Any advice on what to do next? please help!!??
timing belt?

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).