View Single Post

Old 10-18-2009, 04:07 AM
Ford Tough

I started running Windows 7 when it was released as beta, (don't remember the version), on a dual boot with XP on my desktop.
I ran XP from it's release to present, have a copy of Vista Ultimate, (I built a new computer to run it) which was waste of money for the operating system. Quad core processor, 4 gig DDR2, terabyte hard drive and options, it was quick with Vista, but the OS was too glitch ridden to make for trouble free running.
Window 7 is run on the same system, it is twice as responsive as Vista, has very few glitches, (less than XP, had) and is much less intrusive than either. However, for those who are interested in running it, you should get Windows7 PlusPatch, it is an upgraded Tweak UI, and really makes a difference. I recommend to those interested in Win7, that you go to Windows7News and read, read ,and read, before you spend the money.
I run it as my main OS, and only use XP when an app or prog won't run in 7.
At the present time i don't know of any firewall that works flawlessly with it, but the programmers from the major AV/firewall companies say they will have one upon it's public release.
Also, I am having a problem with an audio driver on my old Gateway laptop and Win7. Other than that issue, and the fact that it is 7 gig when loaded, it runs very well with 2 gig of memory, (it ran good with 1 gig on the same machine) and responds better than XP on that machine also.
But, if you haven't played with Win7, and are happy with XP or Vista, stay with what you are running until you have either have a chance to try 7 on another machine, or MS stops supporting whatever OS you are running, (regrettably, it sounds like Vistas days may be numbered, with the release of 7 and all the problems people have had with Vista).

Ray
Jet Chip
2 1/4" Exhaust
Explorer Dome Light
IN THE WORKS:
Sable Electric Fan

“If you do not know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.”
—Henry Kissinger

Last edited by Clem; 10-18-2009 at 04:22 AM.