View Single Post

Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Ford Ranger Owner

Default Set me straight on Water Pump issue..

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger with 2.3L engine. 138,000 miles...

I have noticed that their is a constant slow usage of coolant from the coolant jug every time I open the hood. Noticed a slight puddle of coolant under a "component" that is driven off the surpentene belt. The component is near the top right side of the front of the engine. I "believe" this is the water pump. I have tried to find out info about it but not much to confirm or deny that this is the pump can be found on the net. I called the dealer and they told me that on the 2003 Ranger 2.3, the water pump is driven off the "timing belt" and that this is a "deep" repair. I don't think this component/water pump? is driven off my "timing belt" and they say that the timing belt should be replaced also. Estimate of $650. was given. I "think" that if this is the water pump, then it seems to be a straight forward repair (per Clymer) .drain radiator...loosen pump pulley bolts..remove the surpentene belt, unbolt the pump pulley, pull the pump/ block bolts, pull the pump out straight, insert a new pump with some kind of special lube (vasoline ?), bolt the pulley back on, put the surpertine belt back in place, add coolant.. and your done.

Am I correct or am I crazy...I think they are mixed up with some other engines requirements..??
Thanks for any help
vv0350
bradshaw@mbo.net

Last edited by vv0350; 11-13-2010 at 04:48 AM. Reason: left something out..