View Single Post

Old 11-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Modding To Continue >>>>

Default Re: ordering hids tonight. quick question.

No cop; retired one though, Now I'm just a Park Ranger (bully) that carries a gun, lol Same thing just without the inner city frustrations, Hids are illegal period, But most folks wont have a problem because most LE don't know how to tell the difference, of course unless you are a young sooped up ricer, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
if your a cop whats the law on hids in CA? just curious. cause i read in some states their illegal. and since i figured since its california it probably is here.
Yep you said, however I don't condone anything illegal when you are breaking the law. You heard five different stories about HIDs, can you please elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerider2002 View Post
anything is legal until you get caught haha

and good question im curious. and what about tint? ive heard five different answers from five different cops lol
Okay understand, so the bay projectors are just for looks, good to know; By Ca state law you cannot alter the inside housing of your stock lighting, actually all aftermarket hid are illegal in all states, here is the laws and yea again still illegal here.

So with your method you may be right, if done right, and it seems you have done so.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/glare.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
The "ebay" projectors you are talking about do not provide a dot certified cutoff. they actually don't provide a cutoff at all - they provide a smiley face.

My morimotos on the other hand are designed for H1 HID and have a street-legal DOT cutoff.

Professional retrofitters are held to the same standards that OEMs are, so my lights are perfectly legal and will pass all DOT and SAE testing. (with the exception that I've removed my amber reflectors)

And I'm not young. Wish I was.
----------

Their are trying to update these laws, this is the reason why their is so much confusion and why it's difficult to win or loose a case when cited, The laws are not detailed enough and of course this is one reason why most Officers wont ticket; and that's if you are lucky. However what I posted is good info for those who inquire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
There is no law against HIDs (in CA). There are more generic laws about having proper lighting, light output, etc., and this is where you can potentially be cited.

Tint is an easy one. The California penal code states ANY tint is illegal on the side mirrors. Rear mirrors and side mirrors can be as dark as you want.
Don't forget those who have some sort of visual impairment, here is the details.

Regarding a doctors note...

Read the CVC! It states (I'm paraphrasing) that you CAN put some type of tint on the front windows with a doc note, BUT it must be easily removable and not be used at night.

CVC 26708 paragraph 10:
Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

CVC 26708.2
Sun screening devices permitted by paragraph (10) of subdivision (b) of Section 26708 shall meet the following requirements:

(a) The devices shall be held in place by means allowing ready removal from the window area, such as a frame, a rigid material with temporary fasteners, or a flexible roller shade.

(b) Devices utilizing transparent material shall be green, gray, or a neutral smoke in color and shall have a luminous transmittance of not less than 35 percent.

(c) Devices utilizing nontransparent louvers or other alternating patterns of opaque and open sections shall have an essentially uniform pattern over the entire surface, except for framing and supports. At least 35 percent of the device area shall be open and no individual louver or opaque section shall have a projected vertical dimension exceeding 3/16 inch.

(d) The devices shall not have a reflective quality exceeding 35 percent on either the inner or outer surface.

Last edited by 4evermodding; 11-09-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: fixed the link