View Single Post

Old 11-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Road Trippin' King!

Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: How can I improve 4.0 fuel consumption?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtmusic View Post
I'm in California and my milage has tanked the past month. My driving style is fairly tame and I run regular from 76. That has been good gas in the past but right now it doesn't matter. I think the formulation has changed for the winter and it no longer has the energy of the summer mix.
It does change. It has to do with evaporative emissions, you have less evaporation in the fall and winter when it is cold. But in colder climates IE Montana, you need something that will burn quicker more like in summertime, so it has more aerosal characteristics but is more potent. If that makes sense. While summer they switch to a less evaporative fuel that takes more to burn, which the extra heat of summer will take care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo8 View Post
Well I can vouch for this with premium fuel in a real world situation. In my '97 when I put my headers on the stock manifolds were black and suity. After I installed the headers and the intake I started runing premium fuel. About a year later the cheap paper gaskets that I used from headman had failed. I removed the headers and use stock manifold gaskets. To my amazment the headers were white, Clean from running premium fuel.

That means that all the fuel was being burnt giving more bang for your buck if you will.

The suit from the manifolds was a sign of unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

If you have a 20 gallon tank and premium is .20 more than regular it will cost only $4 more per fill up. (if empty)

In my ranger i get 300 a tank on 87. When I run 93 I get 350. At 15 miles a gal on 87 I would have to buy another 3.4 gal. to get the same miles.

If gas is $3/gal, then to get the same miles it would cost an extra $10.

Had I bought the 93 I would have only spent an extra $4 at the fill up. Saving you $6 each fill up. If you fill up once a week you will have saved $312 a year. And your truck will be running better/cleaner.

Also, around here we have good gas (shell,BP,Marathon) and cheap gas (wesco,Speedway,wal-mart) and that makes a HUGE difference.

I had ran the wesco gas and was getting 250 miles a tank, switch to shell and got 350. And that is NO BS.
Um, it doesn't matter what you run for fuel, you will get soot, every exhaust gets soot, that is part of the emissions, and crap the government is trying to reduce. Running headers will change the way an engine runs and pushes exhaust gases out. You also didn't run your headers as long as the stock manifolds and exhaust manifolds are not as smooth as headers, so they will collect more crap. But truth be told, yes you apparently saw a difference. I can't explain that, but from everything I have researched and experienced myself, you in no way need to buy premium. Maybe I'll try this myself and see what it results in. But I find it a little hard to believe this. Also by switching to higher octane fuel at the same time as you switched the headers really didn't give you the chance to experience regular fuel mpg on that set up. Which will scew your results.
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha