View Single Post

Old 10-29-2010, 10:12 AM
DISABLE ADBLOCK: LOLZ

Default Re: Need info on LED tail conversion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerRanger379 View Post
ok, is there a certain type or place to get them that you would prefer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger024x4 View Post
I had some and they did have the ricer flash. I bought a new flasher relay that was ment for led bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo8 View Post
I bought mine at auto zone. From my understanding, if you have a high flash problem, add the led to the exsisting wire and bulb. The original bulb will act as a ballast and make the led work properly. Use some elec. tape and tape up the bulb. Or you can by the ballast but they are junk and are like $10 a piece.

I myself have 04 tailights and used the reverse spot as the blinker. I use a red LED for this and I did not have any problems
I am considered to be the expert by many on FRF/RF about all LED conversions on the ranger.

First of all, any LEDs you buy from autozone are going to be junk. They have no heat sink, and they will not fill the reflective surface of the tail light with light at all. The only good LED replacement (that is simple) for the ranger is the L1224R. For a while I was selling these that I have had removed from Mercury Mountaineer tail lights.

There is a better option than L1224R, but it is much more work. It involves buying 2 sets of tail lights, opening each up and combining the remaining parts to make a good set of tail lights. While apart, you can make PCB's that contain many, many superflux lumiled LEDs. This is my current project.

With any LEDs, the current draw is much less than stock. The factory flashing unit under the dash is designed to blink fast when it sees a low current draw simply because this is the trucks way of telling you "hey - I think you have a bulb out".

You can indeed replace this flasher with one designed from LEDs but I highly reccomend to ONLY buy the EP27 that VLEDs.com sells. This is the ONLY flasher that I have tested repeated times in comparison to the standard "autozone" flashers and they tend to work more correctly in more situations. I think that autolumination.com sells the exact same flasher also (I'll tell you in a few days, I just ordered one)

If you search for threads I've authored you will find TONS of threads on LED conversion projects for your ranger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
I'm dying to see this at night. Someone go tell the sun to give up already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef08 View Post
Your the man, you bring our dreams to a reality within the lighting spectrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobe View Post
Jp7 you always do AMAZING work! Hats off to you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
People so often confuse "hating" with "knowing better".