View Single Post

Old 10-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: Fuel deliver troubleshooting for an 88 2.9L?

[B][COLOR="Red"]Repaired my rich running problem....

My 87 Ranger 2.9, 5 speed had been running rich for a number of years - 14 to be exact. As I stated earlier, several garages and 2 dealers could not correct this problem. EEK4 is really "Guess 4". This thing threw so many codes that it was joke. No one really knew where to start. Recently, a Ford master tech told me that there is a temp sensor on the 2.9, but he couldn't remember where it was located. He thought it was on the side of the block. For the '87, 2.9 I could find no reference to a temp sensor. I checked books and the parts locator on my NAPA parts locator program, at work - Nothing. However, there was a temp sensor listed in the parts catalogue for the '87, 2.9. I checked the '88, 2.9 locator and found it under the throttle body on the intake manifold, above the thermostat, on the opposite side of the temp switch. And wouldn't you know it, the '87 has one in the very same place. I replaced the sensor, and after a several miles, my mileage improved, dramatically.

By the way, the temp guages on the Rangers were notorious for going bad and giving a false indication of overheating. I screwed in a mechanical guage and my overheating problem went away.

For the first time since October of 1996 this truck is finally running as it should.