View Single Post

Old 10-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Like the Forums

Send a message via ICQ to Rangerlove Send a message via AIM to Rangerlove Send a message via MSN to Rangerlove Send a message via Yahoo to Rangerlove Send a message via Skype™ to Rangerlove
Default Knocking, banging, clicking in low RPMs and on hills (My solution)

Hey all.
So for the past couple weeks or so my Ranger has been making a clicking noise when I'm putting along in low RPMs (driving off of torque), climbing a hill, or pulling a trailer (sometimes all three :P). Some might describe it as a knocking...it sounds horrible and I was use the word "chortling." But it isn't good. I started troubleshooting with my Hayne's guide, just started going through everything and finally after nothing was wrong I reached the part where it suggested I check my EGR valve and referred me to my emissions section. Not really liking catalytic converters and never really having done much with them I was kind of putting this off.
I found the EGR Valve pretty easily on my little 4-banger (It was behind the clamshell right up against the back of the overhead cam) and it came off with two bolts. I checked the seal, was fine. Then I looked inside. It was completely filled up with carbon...I set it with the plunger facing up and filled it up with Knock 'er Loose. It sat for about five minutes and didn't go down. It was really plugged. So I put a punch in there and tapped it with my mallet and it broke free. I then spent about two hours cleaning the inside out with a screwdriver and checking to ensure it pumps air when depressed. To check if it was good or not you push down the plunger then blow into the outtake valve. If it stays up, it's a good valve. If not, you can get one out of a junkyard for $5 (They're around $110 new :\)
Popped it back on, drove 100 miles and under and overreved it in all gears. My truck was able to bury the needle for the first time in two years when it started to get a little top speed loss and power loss on hills. It hasn't knocked or pinged. If it does I'll update this post, but it's always good to have your valves cleaned!