View Single Post

Old 08-14-2014, 01:41 AM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: 3.0 flashing check engine light and misfire on #6... HELP!

...Rig510..I hope I'm not stealing the original thread, but I posted above the difficulties I've had.

Just to give an update on my situation, I now have about 2K on a used engine that I installed after my last one died. While it hasn't thrown any codes yet, nor a check engine light, it still has an annoying idle that feels like it wants to cut out, but never does.(it's sporadic at this point, which is how my original engine's issue first started out)

I THINK it seems to be worse during warmer afternoon weather here in GA, but, at this point, it may be my imagination. Two weeks ago, I took off both the MAF sensor and the Idle Air Flow sensor and cleaned them both with MAF cleaner. The IAF sensor was filthy, and I thought I was onto something, but it made no difference.

In summary, from a troubleshooting perspective, due to the fact that I put in a "used" engine, I can't honestly say that I completely eliminated that as a variable for the issues that I have. It's possible that this engine, being a 3.0 suffers from the same as the original. However, obviously, many of the same parts from the old system are still being used, so I am very suspicious that something else is at work. I had a mechanic actually put a computer on this thing and everything check out as engine is firing fine....all systems normal.

Final thoughts....still confused and frustrated..... about the only thing I haven't eliminated is something strange in the gas tank(haven't looked in it yet), some component having faulty wiring or ground, or possibly the 85 catalytic converters and mufflers this thing has which is possibly choking the engine. Everyone I talk to says the cats aren't the issue as that would throw a code, and I even took it to a muffler shop where the guy drilled a hole in front and in back of the second cat, and used a guage to check the back pressure and he said it was fine.

Maybe the ECU is bad????...sorry, no real help here, but I thought I'd give you more of my saga.... the worse part is that it runs like a champ on the hwy...and even though it feels like it wants to die while sitting, the rpm's consistently stay around 800 at idle.

...this is my work truck,...otherwise I would have already bought a Honda....
...More Details Later