View Single Post

Old 10-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: Fuel deliver troubleshooting for an 88 2.9L?

FIX FOR RUNNING OUT OF FUEL SENSATION WHILE ON THE HIGHWAY.I had the problem with what seemed like running out of fuel (some people thinks it's loading up) while driving down the road. It got worse over time and I parked the truck. This summer while changing fuel pumps and fuel tank, I found that the fuel sump, behind the fuel pump on the frame was the problem. There is a check valve inside and it apparently goes bad over time. I replaced the sump with two pipes that I got from Advance Auto Parts. They are sold as a pair, cost about $18.00 and are perfect for the job. One is 3/8" and the other is 5/16" and slip in the hoses which snap onto the sump. It no longer runs out of fuel while in motion.

NOW, if someone could tell me why my '87, 2.9 is sucking too much fuel. It used to get 28mpg and dropped to 20mpg while on a trip. We're talking from one tank to the next. Everything has been checked and replaced by two dealers (one even made it worse and had to undo what they did) and several garages. One garage owner was a Ford factory trained tech with many years in the field. It just barely has 17 inches of vacuum and won't idle below 900rpm without wanting to stall. Now the distrubuter, ALL sensors, egr valve & solenoid, O2 sensor and a whole lot more has been replaced. The passage between the egr valve and throttle body opening has been cleaned out. The compression is fantastic. The vacuum lines have been checked or replaced. Fuel pressure regulator has been replaced. Fuel filter replaced - Twice this summer. MAP sensor will hold 5 lbs till hell freezes over. It's been checked for manifold leaks. And like everyone else who has experienced this problem, and they are numerous, it started well over 100,000 miles.

Other than that, it runs great.