View Single Post

Old 03-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: 1994 Mazda B3000/Ford Ranger fuel gauge and temperature gauge not working?

Solution to my fuel gauge not working was fixed by replacing the intank fuel pump(when it failed). The fuel level float is part of the fuel pump. I would not recommend replacing it just because your fuel gauge is not reading properly. Wait for the pump to start failing.

Indication of fuel pump failure: When I turn the key on, the fuel pump sounded like it was crackling/grinding/crunching glass. Engine still started 4-5 more times and I would have to gun the accelerator to get going(very out of the norm) else it would stall. For the last 24 years when I would turn the key (not all the way), I would always hear the fuel pump spool up (like a humm), it was pressurizing the system for 1-2 seconds (not on long). Very smooth humm. New Pump fix worked. Be VERY CAREFUL when removing the wire harness. In my case that old insulation on the old wiring harness is brittle, cracked off or chaffed and cause a short two weeks later. PITA. Recommend if you are going to replace the fuel pump (by dropping the tank) in a very old ranger, run new wiring. Do this as a hobby repair, auto shop time could cost you over $1000 for something like this.