View Single Post

Old 09-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Ford Ranger Owner

Default Re: 1st post, estiimate value of this truck

$5,200

I spent a month looking for a Ranger with the criteria I mentioned above, except I left out one important criteria, it had to be salvage or so exceptional deal I couldn't pass.

I know that some will say Oh a Salvage then it isn't worth what you gave. Here is the history on the truck. It was owned by one owner a sheriff, who drove it to work and then jumped in a squad car I guess. Apparently he lived fairly close to where he worked thus the low miles. He wrecked the truck this summer, the insurance company offered a buy-out verses repair and due to age of the vehicle took the cash. When a vehicle is declared Salvage the license plate has to be destroyed (so it has to be recorded at DMV as salvage to get new plates). The company that bought it have some talented people who restored the truck, replacing the right front fender, the hood, and bumper. The independent mechanic I used to go through the truck looked for damage especially if the frame had been cut or straightened and couldn't find anything. I had to get the new plates meaning the first to own the vehicle since it was junked. Thus I'm really the 2nd owner of the vehicle. As I said I looked and saw 3 other Rangers that were also low miles, excellent condition, etc. Each of those the owner misrepresented their vehicle, they absolutely were NOT in excellent shape. I didn't want a step side, but after I saw the truck, drove it, had the mechanic go through it, I couldn't pass. I have seen dealers selling 2002 Ranger Edge with 130K+ miles for $6500 and they are not in the excellent condition my Ranger is.

So you say the resale will be bad because it is salvage. NOT if I maintain it keep it looking great and sell it before it goes over 100k, At 10k miles per year, the truck should sell easily for over $3500, meaning I can drive it for about $300 a year.

This makes the 4th salvage vehicle I have purchased. We currently have 3,
► my daughter's, Hyundai 2001 Accent paid $2700, bought it in 2005 with only 19,000 miles, so far only tires and brakes, and we had it repainted. It runs great and is very reliable.
► my wife's, Hyundai 2003 Elantra paid $2800, bought in 2007 with 65,000 miles. The owner was unemployed and needed cash (the clutch was failing). Again only brakes and tires, and the clutch which we drove for almost 2 years before replacing it.
► now my Ranger.

In the last 12 years I have saved $$$$$ thousands, yeah they are cheap vehicles, but hey I'm over the age of seeing cars as a status symbol, more power to those that can afford them. I just want to have zero debt.

I have bought new cars and they are fun but I can't stand payments. I drove a Mercedes for several years, got it with only 40,000 miles and the money to keep that hog running could have bought both Hyundai's.

I started purchasing salvage vehicles when my daughter need a car for college. It was such a good experience I have now purchased 4 salvage, I sold the 4th to a friend and it has been ok.

My point, is salvage is a great way to save money and still get a good vehicle. Opps I bought 5 salvage a F150 I completely forgot, that one wasn't as good a deal, but still ran for 3 years before I gave it to my son, and he drove it for 2 years before cracking it up.

Last edited by yocalif; 09-30-2010 at 08:02 PM.