View Single Post

Old 03-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: 2000 3.0 FFV 2WD White Smoke and Rough Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by extramedium View Post
Well, got ahead of myself again.

Took my wife to lunch and found out after restarting my truck that the rough idle is back... Sort of. It is running rough, but not as rough as it was before the head gasket replacement, and now it has become an intermittent situation. Comes on rough, then goes good again at some point while driving, and stays good.

A roller coaster of emotions to say the least. Luckily (?) my check engine light came on while coming back from lunch. So I took it in and had them run the codes. Misfire cylinder 1, and running too lean cylinder 1 and 2.

Fuel injectors are on their way. The guy at the store thinks that both problems happened at the same time, or within days of each other before the head gasket rebuild. Makes sense due to the white smoke remaining, and no coolant in the oil anymore.

Like I said, hopefully this helps someone in the future, but this is the first I've heard of a head gasket, and fuel injector going bad within days of each other. Scared me to think I did all of that work and the engine block would need to be replaced anyways. Could still be the situation, so I'll report back tomorrow after the fuel injectors come in, and I replace them.
Post the actual codes. Your description of the codes makes no sense. A lot of those guys that work at the parts stores either

1) Don't know much
2) Are trying to sell you parts.

There are a few that do know what they are talking about but I would tread lightly.

----------

-Have you done a compression check on #1?
-You can get to the #1 injector easily. You can just swap the #1 and #2 injectors to see if the misfire travels to #2.
-I would put a new plug in #1(maybe you got a bad one)
-at this point you should get your own code reader.

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).

Last edited by modelageek; 03-02-2014 at 02:19 PM.