View Single Post

Old 01-06-2014, 01:23 PM
<<< Husky the High Dog!

Default Re: How To Replace Thermostat 2.5L (1999)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberticusMaximus View Post
This is me replacing my thermostat on my 1999 2.5L Ford Ranger.

Precautions: Neither myself of the Ford Ranger Forum are responsible for any damages related to reading and/or attempting this procedure

Tools used:
3/8" ratchet (or 3/8" breaker bar to remove the serp belt)
1/4" ratchet and 8mm socket with 6" extension
10mm end wrench
various pliers & screwdrivers for hose clamps, etc.
towels & scrapers to clean off the parts

Materials:
New Motorcraft Thermostat
New T-stat housing gasket
catch pan for the system's existing coolant
Fresh coolant to top of system after installation

Procedure:

In the pic below is the thermostat housing hiding under the upper radiator hose & the temperature sensor & sender.

I would recommend taking the serpentine belt, the fan/fan clutch assembly, the water pump pulley, and the fan shroud off. It can be done without removing them, but it's so so so much easier to just pull them off. The fan clutch it held onto the water pump pulley by 4 10mm bolts - i used a regular box wrench.

Might as well inspect your water pump while you can see it. I felt how tight the bearing was just for my own piece of mind

You'll have to drain the coolant, else you'll make a big mess. I caught the stream out of the petc0ck & then caught the flow out of the lower radiator hose. kinda did a system flush...
After the coolant is drained, unplug the two sensors on the housing & pull them out of the way. Then you can pull the upper radiator hose off of the top of the housing.

Right there is bolt #1 lol! its a 8mm & It's hard to see but easy to get too, especially after you find it. It's on the lower right of the housing.

And there is where to look for bolt #2 haha! it was too hard to get a pic of it installed, so i showed you where the ratchet needs to be to get to it... 8mm also.

Clean the interface of the block as well as on the housing. Remember to pull of the old gasket & install the new gasket.

The next 2 pictures are of the little test i did...
below on the left is an aftermarket one & to the right is the motorcraft one (brand new).
the gap in the afternarket one is way way too big. caused my sensors to read way too low after the engine was warmed up.
It actually was causing the temp guage to oscillate between normal and cold on the cluster. it was making me crazy lol!

New gasket:

New Thermostat:

ready to install!!!!!

Please please please remember to refill your radiator with clean coolant! and then proceed to burp the system until all the air is out of it.
Check for leaks, blah blah... you might as well do a full system flush while you have it all out IMHO

THANKS FOR VIEWING!

NOTE: I took off my fan shroud permanently because it is tearing up my radiator lol! preparing to replace the radiator soon... don't forget to put it back on too haha!
had to update the picture urls sorry