View Single Post

Old 12-16-2013, 05:10 AM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum

Default The Driver & the Project 5.0?

My daily driver was a 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SEE. Inspection was about to run out and it needed a few things. About 800$ in parts, plus some minor bodywork from everyday life. So I went on the hunt for a winter beater while the Bonneville was in repair.

I found a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge in the local classifieds. Inspected for 2 years, but the crank was shot..., for 500$. After another week, it was lowered to 400$. A week after that, I threw 300 cash at him and drove it home.

After checking it out, and driving the snot out of it, I was impressed. New brakes, rotors, front end, starter, driveshaft, exhaust and rustchecked its entire life. THE BAD: A worn rod bearing causing piston slap and a bent pushrod. Rusty bumpers and box. The search for a 3.0 donor begins.

----------

2 weeks later a 2003 Edge shorty finds me. Bright red with no body rust and a perfect drivetrain. Frame needed work to pass inspection. After a lot of haggelling.... I dropped 400 cash and drove it home. Now, for 700$, two running rangers, and one inspected. Not bad. 5.0l efi bells were ringing in my head with all the spare parts...

Stay tuned for strip down, chassis clean up, engine swaps, box swaps and a lot of custom work.

----------

Gettin some work done, after a blizzard, of course.

Tore into the inspected Ranger, ready to change motors and bumpers. Possibly rad support.

Pay no mind to my garage, I didn't get it quite finished before the sow fell. Its slightly unfinished. Hole in the floor is to add more blocking under the I beams its sitting on. For now, its a roof over my head in snow season. Unfortunately no heat yet in there. My xmas vacation from work starts this Friday... A lot more will be accomplished.

Stay tuned!