View Single Post

Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: FYI: Ford 3.0 oil leak at oil filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by project1 View Post
not sure when it started but I do have a fram filter on it used them when I got the truck it set for 5 years before I got it had it for about two years

----------

a repost to it in a thread I started
I used to be loyal to Fram, as in like, just shy of 30 years loyal. So when I did my second oil change on my current Ranger at 4,500 miles, I automatically used a Fram. The engine started leaking at the filter. I took it to dealer under warranty and they said it was the filter and the TSB for the filter adapter on the 4.0 would not cure the problem. Swapped out the Fram for the other new one I had. Nice, it leaks too, thanks for nothing china. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, there ain't going to be a third time.

Then I researched filters, including Fram online and looked at cutaway views and comparisons of the filter media and the materials and the construction. I learned that what used to one be a good quality brand had gone down the crapper. In fact and based on comparison of Fram, Wix (and a couple flavors of them), Motorcraft, I wouldn't use a Fram on my lawnmower. Crappy cardboard ends on the filter material vs rubber ends on all the rest, cheap rubber backflow valve vs surgical grade rubber on the rest, etc etc etc.....there really IS a quality difference. People have had Frams collapse and obstruct internally, frying engines. That won't be happening to me, ever. Live and learn, buy Motorcraft.

On edit: OHV 4.0's are known to have noisy valvetrains on startup when a Fram is attached; they are overly restrictive. Something to think about, along with how most wear on an engikne occurs on startup. Nice company!

Proudly JAP/RICE free since March 2000

Last edited by cowboybilly9mile; 10-28-2013 at 07:01 PM.