View Single Post

Old 09-11-2013, 01:32 PM
"Eh, it'll buff out"

Default Re: Cellular devices. your question my answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black 06 ranger View Post
It voids all warranties and insurance. Also I've see it kick the phone off the network and no one is allowed to help get it back on. Jailbreak is like the android rooting, you run the risk of bricking the phone. Need to know what your doing! But iPhone 5 will get the ios6 soon. I'd leave it alone.
Yes it does void the warranty while jailbroken. If something ever happens to your phone while jailbroken (i.e. screen not cracked/broken to where you can't even operate or dead battery type of deal) as long as you have your system backed up, all you have to simply reset to factory defaults through iTunes and then reload your data to return your phone to normal with no trace of it ever being jailbroken, thus warranty is not voided (I've been through that process with Apple before and no issues). Not to contradict you by any means but it used to be a huge undertaking and hassle to jailbreak an iphone/idevice where you had to power route and go into the coding/programing mode (where there was always a huge risk of messing the phone up completely), now all you have to do is download the program, start said program, plug in your iphone/idevice and hit jailbreak. It used to be a 30-45 min process where you could potentially "brick" your phone, now it usually only takes a 2-5 minutes and no issues of worrying about software. I do agree you do have to know what you're doing for sure, but the info is out there is and very straight forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscleford View Post
Is it dangerous to jailbreak the iPhone5? I will obviously have it backed up. Is it dangerous to upgrade the operating system, I plan to go to iOS 6 when it is available and jailbreak is ready for that release.
No, upgrading to the new operating system for your iphone/idevice is not dangerous because it's being released by Apple, would they release a product that would be harmful to their consumers? Probably not. But me personally, I'm going to wait a little while to update to iOS7 when it comes out because usually when they release a new version there are some bugs out there (which is why they update in the first place to fix problems). Yes they do beta testing but the beta testers don't always find everything. So going to probably wait until the an update comes out for iOS7 and then upgrade. Or if I find out that there are no major issues, I may upgrade a few days after it comes out and there is solid info out there about it.

It is also not dangerous to jailbreak your idevice. As I said above, that used to be the case because it was a long drawn out process but now it's very simple to do. Just make sure you read up on the process before you try to jailbreak because everytime Apple updates the iOS, a new jailbreak has to be created by finding a new loophole in their firmware to allow third party coding/software into the operating system, thus causing Apple to update to stop the loophole, causing a new jailbreak (either using same loophole or new one)... It's a never ending cycle. If you want to jailbreak, you were correct in saying you would back it up, do so with itunes. There are other programs out there as well. Before jailbreaking, read up on what jailbreaks are out there for what iOS version you may have. If you have updated your phone through Apple to the newest one ( iOS 6.1.4), you may not be able to jailbreak yet as their is not one available. But I haven't checked in a while so I'm not sure. I have yet to jailbreak my iPhone5, but I did with my iPhone3, 3GS and 4s. Keep in mind, if you do jailbreak, DO NOT upgrade your iOS at all. The jailbreak is designed for the specific version you have. Best place to go for all the info is iphoneforums.net. Go to the jailbreaking section and you'll find tons of threads for jailbreaking methods, programs, things you can do while jailbroken, etc. There is also a great thread on there with a title like "Read this before jailbreaking". It gives you a ton of info to help you decide if you really want to jailbreak or not.

Hope this was helpful. But I've seen the OP post in other threads and he knows his cell tech. Great thread idea!
-3 inch Performance Accessories Body Lift
-33x12.5 r 15 BFG M/T KM2's

Last edited by 08Ranger Sport 4x4; 09-11-2013 at 01:43 PM.