View Single Post

Old 08-20-2013, 07:52 PM
"How hard could it be?"

Default Re: 2001 XLT "Shadow" (redo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brxxxck View Post
This is a great build man. I really like the idea of lighting in the cap. I just spent the weekend in mine and that's one thing I wish I had. Thinking about a 3 way switch so I could turn it on off from the tail gate or inside closer to the cab if I was sleeping inside.
Haha yea the lights are fantastic for camping and such. It was my first real mod to the truck and its evolved from an LED strip running off a AA battery pack to a nice setup with multiple lights and switches all running off truck power. At the moment there are two LED strips:

The first is a plain white "Cargo Light". Following the circuit, it begins as a hot wire in the cab, where it goes through a toggle switch in the cab, runs to the rear switch box through another toggle, then out to a mercury switch on the glass, and then into an on/off delay relay.
The two toggles are essentially "override" switches to shut off the lights when I don't need them but normally they are always in the 'on' position. Normal operation is opening the glass, which triggers the mercury switch and automatically turns the lights on. The on/off delay relay forces the circuit to wait 2 seconds before turning the light on. That way it doesn't flicker when the mercury switch gets jolted by bumpy roads.

The second set of lights are the "Interior Lights". These operate off of a 3-way "hallway" switch like you were describing. Theres a switch in the cab and one in the bed switch box. When I was shopping for another strand of LED's I saw they had color lights on ebay and I figured what the hell lol. They came with a remote to change between regular white and all kinds of colors, as well as the ability to dim and brighten the lights. Red is perfect for camping!

bed switch box:

Cargo Lights:

Remote for colors and the different choices lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark65 View Post
hey dennis, was the powerdome already black or did you have it painted? and if you had it painted who did it and what product did they use? i gotta get mine redone probibly this winter...
Nah, it was silver when I bought it. I attempted to paint it myself but it wasn't happening so I took it to maaco and they painted it for about 200 bucks. I went with the base/clearcoat paint job and it doesn't look too bad. Its not a show truck or a sports car so as long as it was black I was happy lol

Black 2001 4x2 XLT Supercab 3.0 "Shadow" - WIA

Black 2001 4x4 EDGE Supercab 4.0 ('Body donor' for Shadow lol)

Build thread:
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...adow-redo.html

Last edited by TB-9862; 08-20-2013 at 07:55 PM.