View Single Post

Old 08-18-2013, 08:17 PM
"How hard could it be?"

Default 2001 XLT "Shadow" (redo)

This is my second attempt at a build thread. The first one simply had too many pictures and would just crash computers when it was clicked on. So I'm going to try again but with less pictures up front haha

Day 1:

Black 2001 XLT Supercab, 2WD, Auto, 3.0. All stock. My gf at the time was into the whole naming cars thing and so I decided to go with Shadow. She hated the truck and hated the name and I guess it was out of spite that I kept the name, and then it just kinda grew on me. And for anyone wondering, its not just because of the black; I named it after the dog from Homeward Bound

It was very clean and ran great. Picked it up for $4500. Cool thing is that the truck was built in NJ, shipped and sold in Florida, then made its way back to PA where it was sold in an auction to the guy I bought it from, back in NJ.

ANYWHO onto the mods! I'll offer up a list and then just show some progress pictures during the life of the truck so the thread doesn't crash anyone's computer lol

Since getting the truck I have:
- replaced chrome grille with honeycomb
- Powerdome Hood
- 3" blocks and AAL in rear
- 2" coil spacers in front (REMOVED SEPT '13; DESTROYED UPPER BALL JOINTS!)
- 3" Doetsche Spindles
- Fender Flares from an 02 FX4
- installed a Rhino Rack on the cap
- cut valence to install KC foglights
- installed a Lund Moonvisor
- replaced stock hood with a powerdome
- Replaced dome light with Mustang one
- throttle cable mod
- airbox mod
- Bucket Seat Mod; after cutting I covered the seats with custom seat covers from ProSeatCovers dot com. They are HEATED SEATS as well
- Custom switch panel in dash
- Custom skull/crossed swords ovals
- Vise mount on tailgate
- put a flagpole on the roof rack. It sounds dumb, but I never have to remember where I parked at a crowded venue. Just raise the Coca Cola flag before heading out lol
- Painted bumpers black
- 15 x 8 Crager Soft 8's (Black)
- 31x10.5 Firestone Destination AT's
- Full size spare
Maintenance
- Replaced engine with a jasper rebuilt 4/13
- Opted for the install kit so new plugs, wires, belts, hoses, fuel filter, air filter, PCV valve, water pump
- Replaced all shocks; Bilsteins in the rear and Monroe's up front
- Replaced the rear hangers/shackles
- Replaced radiator
- Replaced tie rod ends
- Replaced upper control arms and ball joints (passenger side replaced again thanks to coil spacer)
- Replaced lower ball joints
- Replaced front wheel bearings
- Rear drums rebuilt (parking brake cable would not disengage; when the mechanic popped the cover the pieces just fell out :O )

Electrical mods:
- Installed a Sony head unit
- completed the BIG THREE mod: Optima Yellowtop battery, 250A Alternator, and 1/0g wire
- Two sets of LED lights in the cap. One is auto when glass opens and one is manual (with color remote)
- Set of speakers in cap with 3.5mm aux input
- Bed mounted 12v outlet
- 2 AUX fuse boxes; one under hood and one in center console
- 400W power outlet mounted in center console
- dual USB power outlet mounted in center console
- standard 12v outlet mounted in center console
- green LED-backlit cupholders in center console
- Auto-down passenger window mod
- Under door light mod
- 2x 100W spotlights on bumper
- 2x 55W worklights on rear of cap
- 2x 55W aux reverse lights under rear bumper
- 2x 55W fog lamps mounted on side of roof rack ("alley lights")
- made my own LED tail light bar
- Installed an electronic Tailgate lock
- mounted a 19" TV in the cap

GEAR
- Installed 2 Husky tool chests on the inside of the bed
- installed shelving inside the roof of the cap
- built a backseat storage box with drawers
- Put way too much stuff in my truck haha (I have a list somewere if anyone is interested in exactly what kind of stuff I drive around with)

OK now that you've skipped the words, on to the pictures

First time off-roading. Here its got the new grille, roof rack, fog lights, and Lund Visor mounted

I later added cross bars and a fairing to the roof rack. The fairing opens to store my straps in it.

Custom ovals I machined up after failing to do the "paint oval mod"

Most of the mods in the past year have been electrical. Here's the BIG 3 being done, along with tearing my cab apart to run accessory wiring for everything I'm planning

The relay bank under the hood to run everything. In progress picture, its usually loomed and tidy.

Here's the cab storage box. Looks about the same today except the front of the drawers have diamond plate on them

Bed gear

And most recently I've been working on building my custom center console with all the above mentioned electronic crap.
Here's the model from SolidWorks, I need to get a picture of the current state. Its done being built and just needs plastidip!

And in case you were wondering why I had the engine replaced...

Hydrolocked it and shot a rod right through the oil pan lol
Lowest point of my truck.

I have a ton more pictures of the stuff I just don't want to put it all up in the first post. If you have any questions about anything feel free to ask and I'll post it up!

And here's the most recent photo. Doesn't have the powerdome yet; this was during the road trip to get that part lol

Soon to come:
- install the fender flares that are sitting in my yard
- Spindle lift
- 31x10.5 Destination ATs
- New rims (the 8-hole pattern wheels)

And then I'll be broke for a while lol

Black 2001 4x2 XLT Supercab 3.0 "Shadow" - WIA

Black 2001 4x4 EDGE Supercab 4.0 ('Body donor' for Shadow lol)

Build thread:
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...adow-redo.html

Last edited by TB-9862; 09-23-2013 at 07:47 PM.