View Single Post

Old 08-15-2013, 06:39 AM
Learning to use the forums

Default How to test coil packs on a 94' 2.3

I am in the process of elimination phase of operation '' I need the truck running, because the dump run pile is taking over my back yard '' + put a smile back on girlfreinds face!! In going through my haynes ranger manua I found a way to check(a two(2)part) the coils out by way of a multi-meter. The 1st(primary) being a check of the terminals, now FORD does not spec what the ohms should be at/under,but, haynes suggest at 5 ohms or less would be a sign of a good coil......both of mine(coil packs) were at or between 6 to 8 ohms,not passing. The 2nd (secondary) being a check of spark output continuity in pairs (1&4) & (2&3) and FORD specs that at 13 to 15 k ohms, in which I am ok in, but that was a short lived celebration dance, abruptly interrupted by the fact that it failed on the primary test, then the manual goes on, suggesting a second opinion at the dealership or another competent shop & have it retested, well where I live nobody has the " coil tester " (napa,oreilly,car quest & all the local mechanic shops) With that said my question(s) are , The tests that I performed on my ranger,really telling me anything? And does anyone know of a way(tests) I can double check the first set of testings? Money is tight for every one, including me & I am trying to spend $ on only whats chocking my truck for now, and then circle back and take care of the " needs to be replaced soon'' later, in a timely fashion! (I know I am dreaming & at the same time proving what a greenback I am.......although slowly, but surely, I am determined to shed my greencoat for coveralls!) I look forward to receiving more knowledge from the good people out there! (last sentence is real,I promise, no brown nosing from my neck of the woods!)I thank you in advance,to those people offering valid information.