View Single Post

Old 07-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default differential swap?

Hi!

I have a 1999 ford ranger, regular cab, 6' bed.
So, I've been only getting 16mpg mixed fuel economy lately. I'm not sure how that breaks down between highway/city, but that's a fair number highway... and lower than I used to get.

About a month ago a check engine light went on for just a little while, then went off. Pulled the code and it was an O2 sensor; accidentally erased the code and couldn't find out which. Wondering if I might just replace them all, to be proactive...

But anyway, I digress.
My other thought is that even before I had reason to wonder about an O2 sensor, the fuel economy is not fantastic. I only very infrequently haul heavy loads, and never ever tow a trailer.

I'm wondering if a permanent way to significantly improve fuel economy, would be to switch out for a different gear ratio with a new differential?

Has anyone done this?

I don't actually know what the standard, stock ratio is; but someone here probably does know. Are there any other vehicles that ford built on the same chassis, that have a compatible differential, that would offer less torque but better fuel economy? I'm not really taking advantage of the torque/ hauling capabilities anyway: more of a daily highway cruiser.

thanks!
-Bernard