View Single Post

Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 AM
18k miles and climbing.

Default Re: Show Your System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickle Monster View Post
Why I quit building boxes., angled boxes are especially rough for trucks, and no one wants to pay for the time of day or materials/tools..

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I used to have this problem but I've discovered that people don't really think or understand what really goes into building a custom enclosure correctly. I have several pictures of the actual build process of a custom enclosure for people to see and then have examples of some that we have built along with pre-fab boxes on display. A good demo of a correctly built enclosure vs. a pre-fab goes a long way. Also, discussing everything that goes into a custom enclosure is important. Often, people don't think about the time it takes just to get the design figured out especially with ported enclosures. Then, there is the cost of materials. Wood, glue, screws, nails, carpet, etc., etc. We have the largest, most extensive fab shop in our city and I don't mind showing it to people. Once they see/hear the benefits of having a custom enclosure built correctly by us, they quickly understand why a custom enclosure usually starts about $125-150.

Notice I keep saying "correctly." There are lots of people that can build a box, but a correctly built enclosure takes skill, experience and the proper tools. The other reality of it is that lots of people will never even know the difference between a pre-fab box and a custom enclosure so they don't see the value in the extra cost of the custom option. "It's just a box" is something I hear a lot and it used to bother me. This is why I went through the effort to have examples available for people to see first hand and to have working demos for people to hear. One of my favorite things to do is to take a clients sub out of their pre-fab box and build a custom enclosure for it. Once they hear the difference they almost always go custom after that.