Thread: Minnesota
View Single Post

Old 07-17-2013, 07:31 PM
All in the game

Default Re: Minnesota

Well fellas, I lost my grandpa today.

His health failed very quickly after they discovered undiagnosed lung cancer about 3 weeks ago. It was frightening how fast he went downhill. Luckily he passed without too much pain or discomfort.

I was lucky enough to get to know him very well and we spent a good amount of time together, usually working on projects. I think I inherited my desire to constantly work hard with my hands from him. He grew up on a farm, poor, and was one of those cool bad ass old guys who had done just about every job in the book. Woodsman, city public works worker, fur trader, concrete mason, and later on he became a real estate agent and owned his own real estate company. He loved working hard and had a real blue-collar sensibility about him. He cleared the land and built our family cabin up north that we still use all the time. Nothing made him happier than just DOING something....he indirectly taught me a lot of good lessons about how to live an interesting and fulfilling life. He was a great character and I'm gonna miss him a lot.

So anyway my whole point is....fellas, spend time with your parents and grandparents. You don't want to be there at the end of their life wishing you had spent more of your time with them. Do it now while you still can.