Thread: 5.0 Swap
View Single Post

Old 09-21-2009, 06:24 AM
Psycho Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by French2007 View Post
The engine is Fuel Injected and has never had a carb on it. I would like to make it carbureted just to make wiring a breeze, but the relibilty of a Fuel Injected engine is a big factor as well.
Swap intakes for carb, you will need to swap distributors and wiring up an ignition. That motor should have a roller cam, so you will need a STEEL gear. 1985 Mustang GT w/ 5.0L and manual trans is a vehicle that had Duraspark and a factory roller cam (I used this distributor with my roller B303 cam). My engine is/was a 1987 Grand Marquis engine (EFI/roller) and is topped with GT40 heads from a 96-97 Explorer.

I retained the stock fuel pumps by using a return style regulator. Can't help you on fuel system since my '88 is different, but I found spring-lock fuel fittings so that I didn't hack my factory lines. Kind of a PITA, you will get good at finding hard to find parts by the time you're done.

I would keep it EFI if I had the computer and all wiring. I didn't and had a Holley carb lying around, so I bought an intake and went that route for now.

If you're going to use an AOD, keep the TV cable in mind. I had to order a bracket and cable from Summit made by Lokar for the TV cable. The bracket kit requires the Lokar accelerator cable, but I did make my factory cable work for now by making an additional bracket and "adjusting" the lokar carb bracket.

It also took me a few tries to set in the transmission pressure. I bought some OTC gauges (it was a $150 kit at least), but found a good one on Ebay for $60. If the TV pressure is not right, the trans will shift like garbage and you'll fry it within a few miles. Trans is non-issue using the factory stuff, but definitely fimilarize yourself in this area.

If you're going to plug the emissions ports in the back of the heads, do it while the engine is out. Same with installing the oil filter relocation base to the block.

Not sure about your mounts. Lots recommend Mustang Convertible mounts, flipping them side to side, and drilling/slotting the cross member. I used AA adapter plates with 1980 Bonco 5.0L motor mounts. Also played around with the idea of making adapter plates for the V6 mounts, but eventually scrapped that idea.

You will also need wiring diagrams for your Ranger. If going carb, that should be all you need. Going EFI, you will need wiring diagrams from the donor as well. They MUST be vehicle specific diagrams, you'll run into problems with using a cheap Haynes or Chilton's that covers a wide range of years.

Pete

Last edited by Psychopete; 09-21-2009 at 06:27 AM.