View Single Post

Old 07-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Psycho Pete

Default Re: 86/88 2.9L need help with wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson2k3 View Post
OK what the deal is I'm putting a 88 2.9L 4WD automatic engine into an 86 Ranger that was the same 2.9L 4WD automatic.

So here is my problem, there seems to be quite a few wires that are all miss matched and don't connect. I'm sure some of the wires don't matter because the motor going in had AC & cruise, the 86 truck didn't, but I don't know the wiring for that, anyway it seems there is no spark to the injectors, and it seems one of the wires not connected is to the injectors. And also when we turn the key in the truck it doesn't turn over, we have to hit something on the motor I forget to get it to roll over, of course it doesn't start.

So can someone just point out the wiring in a 86 & 88 ranger, and what the wires that MUST be connected look like. Cause I really don't want to have to take the truck to a shop and have fixed, spent to much money on it already. I just need to know what wires are what, if someone could maybe take some photos, it would help. I could even take a few photos of the wires I'm talking about if that would help.

I have the book for it and all that, but that doesn't seem to really help at all. I'll post some pics of my problem later today, to make it easier for someone to help. Thanks for any help!
Hello.

Stick with the '86 mainharness and injector harness. Don't know the compatibility between the two harnesses, but the motors are close enough that you'll want to stick with the '86 harness. If you want to swap to the '88 PCM with no EGR, you should still use the the '86 harness and double check the ECC-IV pin outs and make any corrections necessary (but I am not sure if any at all).

You will have to swap the EGR (just swap the upper intakes and replace the plenum gasket). But then again, that depends on what PCM you want to use. Suppose more info would be helpful on what you're using from what.

Sounds like the solenoid is being tripped to turn over the starter. Part of the neutral safety switch runs in the mainharness, if it's not connected properly, it will not turn over.

How far from the Indiana border?