View Single Post

Old 06-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Ford Ranger Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC02Ranger View Post
I just experienced the same o/d off light flashing in my '02 Ranger 4.0 4x4. Truck has 105, 000miles on it. I went on a 350+ mile trip the weekend prior. Had my trans fluid changed about 5 weeks ago and haven't had any shifting issues at all until now. I was on the highway over 55 and the o/d off light started flashing. Everything was working fine until I pulled over to turn the truck off and on to reset the light hopefully but at that point I was roughly surprised to not have any gears available to me other than 1st, and the o/d off light flashes on as soon as I get over 20mphish now. So confused.... I've worked on my own projects, and friends cars for years now and have never heard of something this bogus now. I took it to a shop and they just said, "yea, your overdrive is shot, you're going to need a rebuild." I'm sorry but that's not very convincing to me. Might take it to Aamco and see what they say. Just really don't feel like getting beat on a $1900 trans if it turned out being my TCM or PCM. I'm reading up on these types of threads all over the internet for more research. Anybody else have more insight I'd greatly appreciate it.
If you can pull the transmission that will save you a lot because that is where the main amount of labor is. We were lucky enough to know the transmission guy and he let us use his tools and lift to drop the transmission and put it back in. We saved 1200 in labor by doing this. 450 for parts and rebuild time.
2000 Ford Ranger. It has the 4.0 EFI OHV motor. It is an automatic 4 speed with overdrive. It is lifted 7 inches (3" body, 4" suspension). It has 35/12.50/16.5 tires. The rims are Weld Racing Rims. It has a cold air intake.