View Single Post

Old 06-23-2010, 06:34 AM
Learning to use the forums

Default 'Winding' sound when accelerating?

Hello,

This site looks great and I look forward to making this one of my most frequently visited forums.

I recently just bought an '01 Ranger base model (almost a fleet truck) 4X2. I was able to talk them down a bit due to a broken front sway bar (everything else checked out and suspension is in good shape), but for whatever reason I didn't notice until after I bought the vehicle that the truck has a bit of a winding when accelerating from idle. It really only does this in first gear and sounds normal when shifting to 2nd gear and so on. The truck shifts fine, the tranny fluid looks great and runs/shifts/accelerates with no problems. Today it rained and I noticed the belt was squeeling pretty bad, so I don't know if maybe it is a belt problem. Could it possibly be a transmission problem even though it is shifting normal? The truck was owned by an older gentleman, 1 owner; so I don't think he really beat on it and it appeared to be very well maintained. BTW, the sound is in the front of the truck and isn't anything in the rear end/suspension and doesn't make the sound when I rev the engine in park.

My cousin is more mechanically inclined then I am and is very familiar with Ford Trucks (has owned F-150s pretty much his whole life) and he checked it out. He told me it wasn't anything to worry about and Rangers are kind of known to have a louder engine/tranny sound. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you in advance.

'01 Ranger
Auto transmission
V6 3.0
4X2

Last edited by jgrilldss; 06-23-2010 at 06:40 AM.