View Single Post

Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Ford Motor Co

Default Re: 03 Ranger Edge: Steering Column Relay fonction. One of them is draining my batter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboybilly9mile View Post
The following are also fair game for being in the GEM:

*Tire size

*Axle ratio

*Wiper delay function

I can tell you that the Ford Factory Service manual for my 04 (uses SJB) says to wait 40 minutes for modules to power down and to then note the current draw, it will be the same for your 03 regardless of it having a GEM or SJB or whatever. They repeatedly tell the reader that the current draw after that time is not to exceed 50mA; this is the upper end for current draw AFTER the wait time has passed.

Really, before jumping into consideration of a new GEM, I would encourage you to get your hands on the diagnostics for it as mentioned earlier, then do it. Throwing parts at problems and hoping and preying that it will fix it isn't much of a repair strategy, but it can be expensive and frustrating.
Like he said x 10.. you need to be absolutely sure it is bad before you replace it. It will need to be read before you remove it and then written into the new module. diagnostics are check for bat hots and bat Grounds and hook up the tester I think I would try a different relay first. Make sure it cycles after the 45 mins or so also SOMETHING may be keeping it awake preventing shutdown.

ok see if you have a glove box light if so make sure it goes off also. Try pulling the black relay next to the battery saver leave the battery saver in and fuse in and see how much draw you have

"If the concern remains after the inspection, connect the diagnostic tool to the data link connector (DLC) located beneath the instrument panel and select the vehicle to be tested from the diagnostic tool menu. If the diagnostic tool does not communicate with the vehicle:
check that the program card is correctly installed.
check the connections to the vehicle.
check the ignition switch position.
If diagnostic tool still does not communicate with the vehicle, refer to the diagnostic tool manual.
Carry out the DATA LINK DIAGNOSTICS test. If the diagnostic tool responds with:
CKT914, CKT915 or CKT70 = ALL ECUS NO RESP/NOT EQUIP, refer to Section 418-00 .
NO RESPONSE/NOT EQUIP for GEM, go to Pinpoint Test A.
SYSTEM PASSED, retrieve and record the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), erase the continuous DTCs and carry out self-test diagnostics for the GEM.
If the DTCs retrieved are related to the concern, go to the GEM Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index to continue diagnostics.
If no DTCs related to the concern are retrieved, refer to the appropriate section of the Workshop Manual to continue diagnose

Last edited by mecman99; 05-14-2013 at 04:57 AM. Reason: glove box light..