View Single Post

Old 05-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: Engine miss.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
Rangerman49...

I tried to remove the EGR valve but I can't get the nut on the bottom portion of the valve to break loose. I hope I am looking at the EGR valve and not something else. The valve I believe it the EGR is round and has a vacuum hose coming out of the top center. It had two bolts holding it on. Located on the left side of the engine. About 2 to 3 inched in size.

Is there a trick to break loose that nut or can I do some type of check to see if it is working correctly?. Stupid place to put a nut like that. Must have been an ex-chevy engineer who designed that place to but that valve...........LOL

JMJ
The best thing to break exhaust related bolts loose is Kroil Oil, but not everyone can find it. The next best I think is PB Blaster. Spray it on, let it soak for several hours, and spray some more. I usually put a breaker bar with my socket on it on the nut and work it back and forth after spraying to hopefully break up the surface rust and allow the lubricant to penetrate better. Eventually, after a few days possibly, the nut will break loose. If not, time to break out the torch and heat it up.