View Single Post

Old 06-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default I need new shocks and i need help

Okay so i need new shocks and i just bought 2 bilstein shocks that were meant to fit on a stock 2007 ford ranger 4wd w/torsion bars and they came no where close to fitting. they were way to small. so i took those back and now i'm desperately trying to find a shock that will fit my truck.

currently my truck is sitting on maxed tbars and belltech shackles in the back. right now i am trying to replace the front shocks only. i will get to the rears another day. i took the old shock off the front driver side and i measured the distance between the two places that the shock bolts onto the truck. it is 18.1 inches give or take a tenth of an inch. this is while the truck is sitting on the ground (not jacked up). the old shock that i pulled out has an extended length of 18.1 inches.. i was under the impression that a shock needed to have room to travel down and AND up. with those shocks i see no room for it to go up.

now the bilstein's that i bought were 14 inches fully extended... is it possible that they just sent me the wrong shocks? now at this point the only possible option i have found is a Gabriel Max Control shock that Autozone sells that has an extended length of 18.09 inches... it would barely fit but it would fit... the only other option i can think of is the Superlift Shock that is designed for use after a 4" lift is installed. does anyone know the extended and collapsed length of the 4" superlift shock? the way i look at it, i need a shock that's extended length is ~20 inches and collapsed length is ~16 inches. if i am wrong about that please tell me.

so with all that being said does anyone know of some shocks that i can buy that would properly fit my truck?

Thanks, John

Last edited by 2007BlackFX4; 06-02-2010 at 06:46 PM.