View Single Post

Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Like the Forums

Default Re: speedometer, odometer, and dome light are not working

JulietGrace, did this end up being your cluster?
I have been busy with my other cars and events lately so I havent gotten to my truck. I checked all my fuses 3x over and relays last night, everything was good.

After removing the cluster/dash/radio/etc, I found some wires where the outter sleeve was shaved off behind the radio. I didnt know it, but it turns out the previous owner swapped in an 01 Explorer 6CD changer. Funny..cause I asked him when I was going to buy the truck and he said it was stock. But clear as day says "01 Explorer" on the top of it after I took it out lol. So someone shoved this thing in their and the plugs all look the same from factory like there was no splicing or anything. I figure during installation someone barely capped the wire with the bottom of the metal radio bezel or something and its just now making contact or something.

So anyways, thats where i saw one of the wires sliced a little. The wires were good but just the sleeve was hacked, so I cleaned it up, taped it off, and without the radio back in I just tried another 10A fuse in #26, and POP! I saw the smoke again from around the dash area. But I couldnt pinpoint the source. All the wires again, looked fine as I ran down each one. I couldnt follow the white/tan wire off #26 fuse because it goes into the harness behind the dash.

So I went into the fuse panel in the passenger compartment, and rechecked all fuses.
Went into the engine bay and checked all fuses/relays.
Everything seemed fine.

I put a 15A fuse in #26 because I was running out of 10's (expensive little suckers!), and it didnt pop. I know its higher and you shouldnt, but i just wanted to see if it would pop the fuse after rechecking my other ones. I only had 1 10A left (and I use those LED ones that light up when they blow, pricey). After the 15A one didnt blow and i verified ALL fuses again, I dropped the 10A back into #26. No pop. i did notice however that the truck does not like me messing with fuses or this #26 messes with a setting. Because the truck barely wants to start, it starts up but stumbles bad and acts like its not getting fuel from the pump even though the pump is running. After resetting the fuel pump relay/shutoff a few times and trying to run it, it'll eventually start after messing with it enough. Maybe Im tripping an antitheft deal and after 15-20min it lets it start up..but the filter only has 2,000 miles on it and the pump is in good working order.

So I decided to test what I had now that #26 fuse wasnt popping.
I have speedo now and the restraint light doesnt stay on/flash anymore.
But still no wipers or dome light. I think that allows me to 'maybe' rule out the cluster since the speedometer is working again..? Im going to try to get ahold of some NEW relays for the wiper motor/wiper speed (i believe it was the #45 or #46A/B relays). I have the manual and chiltons, just cant remember off the top of my head.

At this point im willing to just find a replacement cluster at the pick-n-pull if the relays dont work as rwenzing mentioned. The sad part is ive only put just under 4k miles on it since I bought it last July and it just turned 100k miles. Thats nothing in the world of automobiles and its already showing its demons..

"100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?!"