View Single Post

Old 03-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: Pissed, new rear seal leaking, ADVICE NEEDED on clutch/bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by doshus View Post
All I can say is get them to warranty it or repair it. You paid a lot, and they should cover it. It IS suspicious that the guy left Ford. I know the pre-'93 Rangers had a bad rear main seal design. If it leaks bad it can get on your clutch disk and ruin it. I don't know what it would do to the pilot bearing. It is supposed to be a sealed needle roller bearing. I guess it could eventually sludge up on the splines on the end of the input shaft.
Checked the oil about a week ago (1week after the job) and it was pretty much full, check it today (two weeks later) and its lost 1/2 liter in one week. Is 1/2liter in one week enough to get the clutch replaced? I believe so, but want some others inputs as well as yours.

Their going to warranty it or replace it, and I'm gonna most likely tell them that they need to replace the clutch and bearings again. It doesn't slip in gear, but it slips while changing gears, IE, its every easy to shift then let off the clutch 100% without having to think about it grabbing. Pretty sure that clutch and flywheel is ruined. Should have them replace the clutch plate and bearings and resurface the flywheel again. As well as replace the rear main seal again.

Its odd, I've always changed my oil at 3k, and it didn't look like it lost any oil before oil changes. I believe its been a very slow leak over years, as the oil under neath looks oil, but not the oil under it looks fresh. So older oil before tells me its been an older/slow leak.

I believe the pressure plate is fine, I don't think any oil will mess that up, besides just cleaning the oil off of it. So I think its best to just make them replace the clutch plate, resurface flywheel and all bearings, if they don't, i'll threaten to cancel my debt card.
A 70,000mile warranty, I shouldn't have to do, for the clutch to fail and lose my truck again for a WHOLE week like I did last time. They should just replace everything and not have to worry about it. I don't feel like I should keep the parts there when its VERY likely it'll fail within 2years.

Maybe thats what killed my pilot bearing, causing it to lock up the engine and tranny together (why I had the clutch job done in the first place) is oil from the main seal causing that. Not sure why the pilot bearing went bad, but I don't have to have to deal with knowing something can go wrong with my clutch from their mistake.

Quote:
"You rev it, and rev it, and rev it until the valves come out and dance on top of the bonnet. And then you change gear" - James May
Quote:
"9,000rpms into third!"- Jeremy Clarkson