View Single Post

Old 05-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Southwest Customs

Default Re: Coil spacers = Bumpy ride! Can I fix this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbaum13 View Post
You shouldn't need "lifted" a-arms. I've seen plenty of guys lifted 3" on the stock upper arms. But if you put in a 3" spacer and only went up 2.25", yeah, sounds like something is limiting the lift. To determine what length shock you need, remove your shocks, and measure at ride height (sitting on the ground) the distance from the bushing seat at the top of the shock tower to where the lower eye would be. Then find a shock that has that dimension right in the middle of it's travel.
Perfect! Thanks! As far as the 2.25" vs. 3" I really believe it has to do with the spacers fitting so many different years and the differences in front suspension geometry. Becuase last night I jacket the truck up front the center cross member and the wheels sagged for approx 3" before they lifted off of the pavement so it's not topped out just sitting there. It does seem that they sould sag more?? Not sure yet. tonight I will remove the bottom bolts off 1 shock and see how far it drops out with the truck on the ground and then jack it up and see if it still extends out (possibly limiting the travel). The guy I bought this kit from says he has 2" shock extenders (basically bushing for the upper shaft) that will work if I feel the shock is to short. Also could some of the tight bouncy ride be cause by the ani-sway bar being pre loaded some at full extension due to the spring length being increased? It seems it could be because the anti-sway bar bolts extend down to the lower a-arms which are now further away. Probably 1.5" if not more?