View Single Post

Old 05-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Learning to use the forums

Post 97 Ranger idles rough, requesting help.

Hi all, my ranger idles rough and I have tried a few things with no solution. What initially happened was the truck stalled on my wife when she came to idle but was able to keep it running and make it home by giving it gas constantly. When I took a look at it I started it and immediately it shut off. I was able to give it gas and keep it running and sometimes when I let off the gas it would run other times it would run so rough it sounded like something was going to break. The first thing I did was replace the fuel filter and put new fuel in it with a little seafoam and nothing. The check engine light was on and I managed to get it to advance auto and borrow there code reader. It said it was the maf sensor and something with emissions I cant really remember exactly. I replaced the maf sensor and wallah it ran fine, ah I almost forgot I replaced the iac valve and the purge solenoid valve for the charcoal canister but neither one did anything. Back to what I was saying it ran fine for a short time anyways. It started doing the same thing shortly afterwards and I replaced the maf sensor again because I bought it refurbished and I thought maybe it was defective, same thing. I have checked the pcv valve, coil packs, fuel pump (by ear), and replaced the battery since it died on me. I have let the truck sit for a few moths now and the brand new battery I bought is dead so I am thinking there might be a ground or my charging system is not working. This morning I jumped the battery and checked the alternator for good output and it seems to be working properly. So please if managed to take the time to read all this and you have some constructive criticism by all means help me out. thanks.