View Single Post

Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Like the Forums

Default Re: speedometer, odometer, and dome light are not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
It MIGHT be the cluster causing #26 to fail but it could just as easily be the GEM, Restraints Module, the dome light or the Battery Saver Relay.

If you want to do some cheap and simple troubleshooting, try unplugging each of the above one at a time and then insert a new fuse to see if it fails. This will narrow it down so you won't be buying things that you can easily prove are not causing the issue. If none are causing the fuse to fail, then it could be a wiring problem somewhere downstream of 26. Look for a pinched or cut wire shorting to ground or maybe a homebrew audio or GPS installation tapped into the wires.

If you do end up needing hard parts, consider a U-Pull-It or Pick-A-Part type junkyard and you could save 90% or more versus buying new.
i love pick-n-pull for this reason. i often find myself buying crap ill never need for cars i dont even own..just cause its so cheap lol.

but im having this exact issue, except mine stemmed from the air bag light flashing, then smoke shortly following coming up through the steering column/cluster. im hoping maybe i can buy a used cluster after testing the other components you suggested and fix it.

if it was smoking and this is a possible known issue...since my inspection of the wiring harness didnt bring up any fried wires (that i could see), is it likely that the cluster shorted and the smoke was from it burning?

gread advice btw, im going to check on those other pieces...sucks not having my weekend vehicle up and running!

"100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?!"