View Single Post

Old 02-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: 3.0L compression

Hey Brock - I am looking at around $100 for the machine shop to repair the valve. He repaired a bent valve on a VW Jetta head for me for $75. Gasket kit $129 (I think) and new head bolts for around $25. Started it today and I am down to the exhaust manifold and the head itself. The problem areas are removing the bolts from the combination a/c power steering pump bracket. There are 2 bolts that you can find only by feeling for them and you have to remove the fan and belt tensinor and idle pulley. My problem is on the drivers side on the other side I think you would have it a lot easier. My problem now is the exhaust manifold bolts. I can't get them to budge. Have them soaking now in penetrating oil. Will try tappining on them and see if they will loosen. For a shop to do it there is a lot of labor. I worked steady on it 5 hours and still have the manifold and head left to pull off. You need a good set of metirc sockets and patience. The shop manuals are not a lot of help, at least Chiltons. The say remove power steering pump bracket, they don't tell you about the inaccessibility of some of the bolts.