View Single Post

Old 12-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Some assembly required...

Default Re: speedometer, odometer, and dome light are not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulietGrace View Post
#26. I tried that wd-40 and slamming the door a few times. didn't work. I guess it is the instrument cluster. not happy about having to replace that thing. $400 from the dealer, new. I'm looking for a used one.
It MIGHT be the cluster causing #26 to fail but it could just as easily be the GEM, Restraints Module, the dome light or the Battery Saver Relay.

If you want to do some cheap and simple troubleshooting, try unplugging each of the above one at a time and then insert a new fuse to see if it fails. This will narrow it down so you won't be buying things that you can easily prove are not causing the issue. If none are causing the fuse to fail, then it could be a wiring problem somewhere downstream of 26. Look for a pinched or cut wire shorting to ground or maybe a homebrew audio or GPS installation tapped into the wires.

If you do end up needing hard parts, consider a U-Pull-It or Pick-A-Part type junkyard and you could save 90% or more versus buying new.
Keypad Entry, Lock LEDs, ABS switch, sway bar discos
Heated seats, Explorer EATC, Trip Computer and consoles

2003 XLT 2.3L M5OD-R1 reg cab, 2011 Taurus SEL, 2016 C-MAX Energi Plug-in Hybrid