View Single Post

Old 12-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum

Default Re: O2 Sensor / System too Rich Fault Codes, Seems to be running fine??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerman49 View Post
If sensor 2 bank 2 stays at 1.27v, it's dead or there's something going on with the wires for that sensor. You could disconnect it and see if it falls to 0v.
Your base voltage is 0.45v and will swing as high as 0.85v and as low as 0.15v.
I would take a look at long term and short term fuel trims too, to see whats going on there too.

----------

On a stock exhaust system on fords on all the V6s that I've seen, there should be four O2s, two up stream and 2 down stream of each CAT.
I tell you I'm confused !!
Right - that's what I mean, Bank 2 Sensor 2 doesn't exist. Where should it exist on a stock system, so I can look for any wires?? Further back on the exhaust? If it falls to 0v then it should just detect that there's no O2 sensor and give me a fault code for that - if I'm understanding correctly - and will stop trying to correct an over-rich condition that doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
Wait a minute. Lets back up here. Look at the information you've posted. You've shown that a non-existent sensor is reporting an overly rich condition to the computer. And you're trying to correct that overly rich condition. Hello. You're trying to fix something that doesn't exist!!!

I can tell you EXACTLY what is going on here:

You have a fourth oxygen sensor that isn't hooked up due to your aftermarket exhaust system. It's either dangling down somewhere, or the wires are taped off and corroding with water in them. This is resulting in the computer receiving what it interprets as an extremely rich condition on that sensor's circuit. This is causing the P0175 in bank 2.

Due to this false rich condition, the computer is leaning out the fuel trim to it's maximum limits. This is why those plugs look so clean with no fuel on them, you're engine is running dangerously lean. Shit is going to start going fukushima in there soon.

With fuel trim leaned out all the way, the sensor is still reading the same rich condition. That is what is meant by switching, or in this case, not switching. The computer was expecting to see a change (switch) in a certain amount of time and that change did not happen. This is what is causing the P1152 in bank 2. This code isn't because it is running rich. It is because it isn't changing.

So, before you do anything else, you need to find the sensor or the wires for your "missing" Bank 2 #2 sensor. For now, you should disconnect whatever is on it, clean off the ends and makes sure the wires are not damaged or broken. Tape it up and leave it disconnected. Disconnect the battery for a while to erase it's memory and see what it relearns. It will detect the sensor isn't there, which is fine. That is better than detecting bad information.

On it!!!

Thank you!! There's some pinging now that I think about it, so I think you're right on all accounts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone View Post
Yes that plug is lean it should have some soot

Gotcha! Going out to look for the phantom O2 sensor now!