View Single Post

Old 11-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Tank Diver

Default Re: What oil to use, when to change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthranger View Post
Regular dino oil should be fine. I feel that it is all marketing hype, and the only oil I'd use in the future is the "high-mileage" if and when I run into problems.
It's not entirely hype. I can't say as a fact that my engine wear is any less because I use it but I can say for a fact that the interior of the engine is cleaner because I use it.

I used to use conventional oil in my old Honda and later switched to whatever synthetic was on sale. Before I did that, I had the valve cover off to do a valve adjustment and there was a lot of varnish and yellow residue everywhere. The next time I did a valve adjustment was after the switch and the interior looked brand new. No residue and no varnish.

Now, I'm not telling you you have to switch. Conventional oil will do the job just fine and will give allow you many years of faithful service from your vehicles. The above is just what I've found while working on my vehicles.

Here is a pic from my engine during a valve adjustment after using synthetic. If I can dig one up from before, I'll post it up as well. It think the engine had 120,000 miles on it at the time.

Dino oil

Last edited by sgtsandman; 11-19-2012 at 03:35 PM.