Thread: Smell of gas?
View Single Post

Old 09-10-2012, 08:04 PM
potential sarcasm poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickbass5
On my 96 Mazda B3000/Ford Ranger, a strong gas smell was coming from around the gas tank, really bad on a hot day. Ended up being the filler hose had cracks in it where is connects to the tank. This is an easy fix. Removing the bed is way easier than trying to drop the gas tank. (6) #55 star head bolts, disconnect tail lights and gas filler inlet. Slide the bed back a few feet and you can get to the top of the tank. Dealer part is expensive, you can find one on ebay alot cheaper. I didn't have a new one on hand so I repaired my old one with heavy duty electrical tape and cloth gaffer tape. Its been holding fine for a year now. remove the hose and clamp from the end of the hose. Clean the hose where the cracks are with soap and water and let it dry. Wrap it over with electrical tape a good three wraps or so. Make sure you stretch the tape around so it will seal. Go over the electrical tape with the gaffer tape so it wont come unraveled. The hose has to stretch back over the tank inlet so you may want to put the gaffer tape after you fit the hose back on as the gaffer tape doesn't stretch that much.
This thread is 2 years old bud.

--1993 ford ranger ext cab 3.0 v6--